Self-confidence is more important than you can imagine. It can change your whole life for the better. While a lack of confidence will have negative effects on your social relations, career, achievements, and even your mood.
What is self-confidence?
Confidence basically means to trust. When you say that you have full confidence in someone, it means that you trust them. Similarly, self-confidence means trusting oneself and trusting one’s abilities. It is believing in yourself and feeling comfortable in your true self. Self-confidence is an attitude about your skills and abilities.
On the other hand, low self-confidence might make you feel full of self-doubt, be passive or submissive, or have difficulty trusting others. You may feel inferior, unloved, or sensitive to criticism. Feeling confident in yourself might depend on the situation. For instance, you can feel very confident in some areas, such as academics, but lack confidence in others, like relationships.
Differences between self-confidence and over-confidence
People often confuse self-confidence or confidence with over-confidence. As discussed above, confidence means to have trust in abilities whereas overconfidence means to overestimate one’s true abilities. One basic difference between the two terms is that an overconfident person absolutely believes in herself/himself without even thinking that anything can go wrong. Whereas confidence means believing in one’s abilities but giving the margin of making mistakes.
Why is self-confidence important?
Self-confidence not only has a huge impact on different areas of a person’s life but also impacts every smaller function of our daily lives. These are some importance of self-confidence:
1.It leads to better self-esteem
Self-esteem is a combination of believing in oneself and believing in one’s self-worth. Having confidence in oneself is a gateway to developing better self-esteem and vice versa. Self-esteem helps people to better cope with life’s difficulties and challenges, inculcate happiness and love in life, and have mental peace.
2. Decreases anxiety
Having self-confidence is a way to decrease anxiety and fears in a person’s life. Almost all of the issues related to social anxiety, self-esteem, and some other forms of anxiety have a root cause of low self-confidence in a person. A person with low self-confidence tries to avoid every possible situation where they have to be in the limelight which reinforces the anxious behavior.
3. Positive self-worth
The importance of self-confidence is positively related to making people comfortable in their skin. Confident people accept their flaws and know that this does not decrease their self-worth. It becomes easier to accept one’s weaknesses because you are confident in your abilities that you will get over them one day.
4. Makes a better leader
One of the qualities of a great leader is to have self-confidence. A leader is also an eloquent and confident speaker and has a charismatic personality.
5. Increases motivation
When you have confidence, you will automatically gain more motivation to perform those tasks as compared to someone who has low confidence. People with low confidence are preoccupied with the fear of failure.
6. Brings happiness
A confident person does not hesitate from doing anything in life. There are no regrets of missed opportunities and no self-accusatory and ruminating thoughts. When there is no regret in life, life automatically becomes happier than it normally is.
7. Improved relationships
Confident people are more open and genuine in their interactions because they are not constantly thinking about their impressions in any social interaction. As genuineness is a character that improves relationships, confident people are known to have better relationships than non-confident people.
How to increase your self-confidence:
By figuring out the importance of having self-confidence in life, everyone wants to improve their confidence so that they can do better. What are the ways through which one can achieve that?
- Acceptance: the first step of every change and effort is to accept the lacking and errors. Accept that there is a lack of self-confidence in your personality.
- Identification: Enlist all the weaknesses and strengths of your personality, unbiasedly. Also, enlist your skills and talents that are useful. Reward and praise yourself for your efforts and progress.
- Remove the negativities: Remove all the negative perceptions about oneself from your mind. These negativities are the major hurdle in your journey toward acquiring self-confidence.
- When you stumble upon an obstacle, treat yourself with kindness and compassion. Don’t dwell on failure.
- Set realistic and achievable goals: Do not expect perfection; it is impossible to be perfect in every aspect of life.
- Be assertive: We need to learn to be assertive without being disrespectful. In some situations, people with more confidence win even without having the proper skills. This is because their confidence lets them convince people in their favor, rather than relying on their ability to convince them otherwise.
- Slow down when you are feeling intense emotions and think logically about the situation.
- Challenge making assumptions about yourself, people, and situations.
- Recognize that past negative life experiences do not dictate your future.
- Learn to say no to unreasonable requests.
- Individual counseling can also help increase your self-confidence if you need more help.
In conclusion, it may be assumed that successful people have unlocked and comprehended the value of self-confidence and have used it to their advantage. It makes no difference if the assignment is small or large; it takes to trust in a person to complete the task successfully and beautifully.